#GivingTuesday, a global giving movement built by individuals and communities in all 50 states and in countries around the world, is November 29, 2016. Millions of people have come together to support and champion the causes they believe in and the communities in which they live.
Now, in celebration of #GivingTuesday, Facebook and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are partnering with #GivingTuesday on #MyGivingStory, a national campaign that invites people to share stories with their friends and family of why they give. There are two great ways you can ask your followers to participate and support you this #GivingTuesday!
Matching Gifts Plus No Fees on #GivingTuesday
On #GivingTuesday, Facebook and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will contribute up to $1 million to Facebook fundraisers. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will provide $500,000 in matching funds, up to $1,000 per Facebook fundraiser, and Facebook will waive up to $500,000 of fees on all donations.
Here’s how it works:
- Ask your followers to create a fundraiser on Facebook (they can create the fundraiser prior to #GivingTuesday) in which they share why they give to your organization and invite their friends and family to contribute.
- Have your followers share and ask for donations on #GivingTuesday.
- Starting on #GivingTuesday, every donation to a Facebook fundraiser will be matched up to $1,000 until the $500,000 Gates Foundation matching gift is reached.
- AND, Facebook will waive transaction fees for donations to EVERY Facebook fundraiser on #GivingTuesday up to $500,000.
Share #MyGivingStory and Your Nonprofit Could Win
There’s more than one way for your supporters to raise awareness and money for your organization this giving season. They can also enter the #MyGivingStory contest and win up to $10,000 for your organization just by sharing why they support your work with their friends and family on Facebook.
Here’s how it works:
- Starting on November 17, ask your followers to post a short essay (150 word minimum) on the#MyGivingStory tab of #GivingTuesday’s Facebook page.
- The essay needs to be specific to one organization.
- Submissions and voting will be open until December 31, 2016 at 5pm ET.
- The top 20 essays with the most “likes” from Facebook readers will be sent to a distinguished panel of judges for final adjudication; participants are encouraged to share and promote their submissions.
- The winners’ chosen nonprofit organizations will receive grants for $2,500-10,000. Two additional honorable mentions for “Best Use of Original Video” and two for “Best Spanish Language Story” will also be awarded. Winners will be announced in mid-January, 2017.
For more information on #MyGivingStory, click here.
Your supporters now have two great ways they can raise awareness and funds for your organization. Want to get started now? Download our Social Sharing Guide.