Matching donations to nonprofit fundraisers
Our new feature lets supporters, nonprofits, businesses, and public figures pledge to match donations made to their Facebook Fundraisers as a way to motivate friends, fans, and consumers to donate.
The ability to have Fundraiser donations matched on Facebook is available to verified, nonprofit Pages that have signed up to use our Charitable Giving Tools, Sign Up Now
Now available to nonprofit fundraisers on Facebook.
Our new matching feature allows all verified, Pages and Profiles in the U.S. to pledge to match donations to a Facebook Fundraiser that they’ve created. Organizations and supporters creating fundraisers can now emphasize their commitment to a particular cause by pledging to match any amount that fits their budget, from $5 to $2,500.
Now, nonprofits, businesses and public figures can pledge to match donations to their Facebook Fundraiser to further incentivize giving and help reach fundraising goals faster. There are no payment processing fees on donations when using Facebook’s Charitable Giving tools. This feature is currently available in the U.S. and internationally for your supporter Profile, and U.S. only for an organization’s Page.
People often pledge to match donations to their Facebook Fundraisers, and we wanted to make that easier.
For example: David Smith lost his sister in a car accident in 2013, and this year for his birthday, he started a fundraiser for Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). He told family and friends that if he could raise $100, he would match their contribution. People rallied around the cause and raised $2,360 — more than 10x his original goal.
Sign Up Now for Facebook’s Charitable Giving Tools
How it worksGet your supporters excited about matching by letting them know exactly how it works! People who create fundraisers can pledge to match donations up to the amount they choose, from $5 to $2,500.
Here are instructions you can provide to your supporters:
- To create a fundraiser, visit facebook.com/fundraisers or search “Fundraisers” in your Facebook app.
- Once your nonprofit fundraiser is created, you will have the option to pledge to match donations. You can pledge any amount that fits your budget. The minimum pledge amount is $5 and the maximum is $2500.
- Encourage people to donate by inviting friends. Facebook will keep you updated on the progress of your fundraiser.
- If your pledge is met, you’ll be able to have your credit card charged at that time or your card will be automatically charged within 24 hours of your fundraiser’s end date.
- If donations to your fundraiser exceed your pledge amount, you are only responsible for the amount you pledged. (eg. If you pledged $100 and raised $200, you’re only charged $100.)
- If the amount you raise is less than your pledge, you only have to match the amount you raised. (eg. If you pledged $100, but only raised $80, you’re only charged $80.)
- Profiles and Verified Pages must be verified (blue/grey checkmark)
- Located in U.S.
- Matching tool is only available on Desktop
How to pledge to match donations to your fundraiser:
- First, you must create a Fundraiser. Using desktop, go to facebook.com/fundraisers.
– You must be a Page Admin to create a fundraiser for your organization’s Facebook Page.
- Once your organization’s fundraiser is created Click the … More button and click Match Donations.
– The creator of the donation match must be a Page admin of the organization’s Facebook Page.
– The Page Admin that creates the donation match “owns” the match, meaning that only this person is permitted to edit/confirm/delete the match.
– View all your Page fundraisers by clicking the Fundraisers Tab in the left hand menu on your organization’s Page.
- Click Choose Pledge Amount
- Select the dollar amount that your organization wishes to pledge using the provided amount options or click Other to enter your specific match amount. Enter your payment source and click Schedule Payment to confirm your pledge amount.
- If donations to your fundraiser exceed your pledge amount, you are only responsible for the amount that you pledged. (e.g. If you pledged $100 and raised $200, you’re only charged $100.)
- If the amount you raise is less than your pledge, then you only have to match the amount that you raised. (e.g. If you pledged $100, but only raised $80, you’re only charged $80.)
This feature is currently available only for verified Facebook Pages in the U.S., however donors in other countries can donate to a US-based fundraiser and may have their donation matched. We are excited to expand this feature internationally soon.